Thursday 20 December 2012

Challenge #4


This year at L.A.S, things have changed a lot, some of them are good but others are terrible, although nevertheless I have learnt so much in these few months so far that I am able to now apply it to myself and my life as of now.

                There are many elements of many subjects that I have learnt; I will only illustrate two things from two different classes. The classes are French and English, I have increased my knowledge and understanding about books and pieces of text and the art of speaking a language.

                In English 10, this year I have learnt numerous things that will help me in the future in College and University. Although by far all of the things that have come to my understanding, I have learnt how to do public speaking, I'm not the best at it, but I try and succeed to my wishes. I have been in L.A.S for 1 year now, and this is my second year in which I have been attempting public speaking. Last year I provided a speech to the class about the dengue epidemic and how it is affecting Pakistan and what it has done to people. Unfortunately I did not get selected to put forward the speech in the TAB; I lost to a fantastic speech fast food and McDonald.   

                This year I have bestowed a speech about the YouTube censorship in Pakistan and when it occurred around the world and how it affected the countries that were facing the censorship. Yet I lost again this year to three great speeches.

                Although what I had learned was that do not be frightened to give speeches and when you’re up there, at the podium, make every second count, each second is a path to winning or losing.

                I practised doing my speech to my family and they jaw dropped at the sight of what the speech was about and how our English class had been doing a speech contest involving the whole school and it was an open-ended thing.  

                When the day came to deliver the speech, I marched to the podium, remembering every note that my family had told me to do. I started; each line was like a beautiful painting being created in my perception. The only problems that I had with my speech were a few errors, time constraint, length of my speech and some of the information would have been a little out dated.  

                Now that I know how to deliver a speech and how to write one as well, I will attempt at writing one at the next chance I get. I am gratified to my teacher Ms. Maloney, in giving me the opportunity to deliver a speech, although it could use editing and a reimbursement of language. 

Here is the link to my Storybird on the English class public speaking: 

http://storybird.com/books/the-fight-for-knowledge-ibrahim-vs-public-speaking/


                The second thing that I learnt this year was in French and it was not one thing it was many things that are under the “umbrella” of a topic. I have been taking French for approximately 7 years now and this is not just in L.A.S, but this is in Europe.

                In all my time in a French class, I never got one topic, something that was so difficult in my eyes that it made me feel ignorant, as everything in French is interconnected; therefore if you know one thing, you know how to solve the next.

                This year, with the help of Mr François  my French teacher, I learnt passé compose (past tense), how to use verbs and employ them into the past tense.

                Although this may seem something small, but it meant a lot to me, as I had learnt something which I was never good at and thank god I know it now, because part of French exam is based on the core concept of past tense. 


No comments:

Post a Comment